Sunday, August 12, 2012

Small Ulta haul

... from, er, kind of a while ago. >.>
Little Ulta haul
It was one of those Ulta trips where you have the $3.50 off $10 purchase coupon, and you have $9 worth of stuff in your hand ... hence, the clearance lip balm, which was less than a dollar and I probably won't even use.
NYX Cream Blush in Tickled
I've been loving cream and liquid blush for a while now, because they seem to look much more natural on my crazy skin than any of my (super-beautiful and unique) powder blushes do (sad but true). I grabbed this one by NYX* because it looked like a [cream-formula] dupe of NARS Orgasm!

Yes, I know - there are a LOT of Orgasm dupe contenders out there, but I hadn't seen a decent cheap cream one before. (And I own Orgasm in powder form, but like I said, powder blush is not so flattering on me lately.) Tickled is a fairly decent value at around $5-7 for 0.12oz (NARS are $28 for 0.11oz, Illamasqua are $24 for 0.14oz and Revlon are $10 for 0.12, for comparison's sake).
Tickled swtached on otherwise bare skin: heavy swipe on the left, blended out on the right; direct sunlight, no flash
I love the color. It's that sweet rosy peachy-pink with gold shimmer that we all know and love, and it can be applied lightly for a softer color, or built up for a deeper shade.
Tickled swtached on otherwise bare skin, blurred to show shimmer: heavy swipe on the left, blended out on the right; direct sunlight, no flash 
But the gold shimmer doesn't look so great on my crazy skin texture, and the formula of this blush is a bit sticky, so you have to set it carefully or it'll attract hair like sticky lipgloss on a windy day! For those reasons, I'm glad I didn't spend a lot on it, since I haven't worn it very frequently. I do like to stare at it, though ...

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit for the Orgasm comparison: I have no less than FIVE supposed dupes (erk!) (this is the only cream one) (in the name of SCIENCE) which I swatched together and will post soonish!
Essence Stay All Day Long Lasting Eyeshadow in Steel the Day
The other thing I picked up that day was the Essence Stay All Day Long Lasting Eyeshadow in Steel the Show. I believe it was a limited edition color, but it is so hard to tell with Essence products in America, since displays are usually either empty or just not there at all :/ But this one is not listed at Ulta.com right now, so probably it's not at stores anymore, either. At just $3.99, these are even cheaper than the Maybelline Color Tattoos, which cost $7 but contain just 3.98g compared to Essence's 5.5g!
Steel the Day swiped onto otherwise bare skin; direct sunlight, no flash
Steel the Show is a metallic taupe with shimmer, but no obvious glitter. It's pretty well balanced between cool and warm undertones. You can definitely apply a thin or thick layer on your eyelids depending on how strong you want the color to be - this won't get patchy if you go over it with more product. I still need primer with it, but that's just me; check out the review at delicate hummingbird for a differing opinion and more color comparisons!
Steel the Day (left) and Pug (right) swiped onto otherwise bare skin; direct sunlight, no flash 
Here I swatched it next to Buxom Stay-There Eyeshadow in Pug, because I was afraid I had bought a dupe (as one does). However, Pug is a different color altogether and has holographic glitter, while Steel the Show is more of a "plain" solid color.
Steel the Day (left) and Pug (right) swiped onto otherwise bare skin; direct sunlight, no flash 
This shows the sparkle of both shades better. Steel the Show shimmers but doesn't sparkle, and Pug definitely sparkles (sadly, those holo glitters do tend to fall out)!

For the price, the Essence cream shadows are definitely worth trying - just look for the ones that are sealed ... my Ulta had been ravaged by someone who likes to stick his/ her fingers into everything, so it was hard to find a clean, new one >:( It looks like they have a purple now, so ... I may look at those when I'm back in Holland next month!!!

*Disclaimer: I still think NYX's sale fail was a disgrace and does fit the definition of a bait-and-switch, so I do not want to support them or encourage people to buy from them. However, there are many ways to get your hands on these products if you want them - Cherry Culture, eBay, BeautyJoint.com, Ulta, blogsales etc - so I will still feature them from time to time!

1 comment:

  1. Peachy cream blush with gold shimmer? Dupe or not, it's super pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...